"He's soft and he's fat and he's wearing my cloths and he was born on my birthday
and he's getting too old and I'm afraid if I stop running, he'll catch up with me."
- Nike motivational poster

FEBRUARY 2024

- 7 hours of some form of exercise every week
- Endurance training for peak climbing
- Core strengthening & conditioning
- Kettelbell workouts
- Slow movement hikes
- Natural movement workouts
- Olympic Lifts (adjust loads as needed)
- Play different sports (cycle, kayak, hike, snowshoe, climb, Fish)

February Workouts

Days This Month: 28
Some form of exercise: 0 of 28 days
Exercise hours: 0.0
Hiking/Climbing miles: 0.0
Paddling miles: 0.0
Cycling miles: 0.0

WORKOUTS AT A GLANCE
4/3 - Clover Springs Training Hike
4/2 - Road Ride/Cloverdale Loop



Febuary Work-Outs

Days This Month: 28 Some form of exercise: 2 of 30 days Exercise hours: 2.0 Hiking/Climbing miles: 3.75 Paddling miles: 0.0 Cycling miles: 6.0 WORKOUTS AT A GLANCE 4/3 - Clover Springs Training Hike 4/2 - Road Ride/Cloverdale Loop

Friday, March 25, 2011

Homemade Equipment

The Bulgarian Power (Fitness) Bag
Alright..., I first saw these being used at Mark Twight's Gym Jones site. I have never heard of them before, so I googled it and came up with hundreds of hits.

Here are a couple...

http://www.suples.com/bulgarian-training-bags/


http://www.mytrainer.com/action/viewvideo/534/Bulgarian_Power_Bag/


I then search Mark's Daily Apple and sure enough, he talks about them also. So, I though I would make one.

There are several videos on-line that show how these can be made, just search the phrase.

Weight: 33 lbs. (They can be made to weigh whatever one wants).
Total approximate cost: $25.00 - or a lot cheaper.

Components
14 inch Inner tube - used or new
Sand or some other sort of filling for weight
Zip Ties
Cord or tubular webbing (optional)
Duct and/or electricians tape

The Inner Tube
I bought my tube new at a tire shop. One could probably get these for free if you asked around, but I didn't want to deal with the holes or weak sections associated with used inner tubes. The new one I bought was 14/15 inch @ $16.00.
I cut out the stem section. I will adjust the length later on.

Leaving about 6 or 7 inches for the handle, secure the closer with the first zip tie. If adding additional handle (tubular webbing or cord), lay it in and tie off with 3 or 4 more zip ties.

As pictured below, when I trimmed off the tag end of the zip tie, I left a couple inches so I could tape them down later on. Cutting them short leaves a sharp edge that will cause problems later on.
I used the burly Duct Tape to cover and secure the zip ties, then used stretchable electricians tape to to form a tight handle.
Fill the tube with the desired material and weight.
Pull it up tight and repeat the process of creating a closer and preliminary handle. Depending on how much material one puts in, one might end up trimming several inches off the tube.
Here is the finished product before shaping better handles.
I Built up the handles with tight wraps of electricians tape. I like the softer, stickier feel of cloth athletic tape, so I used that to finish up the handles.

Here is the finished product.


No comments:

DISCLAIMER: I have never had any formal workout or fitness training instruction. Everything I have learned has been self taught, self motivated, learned from trial and error, or picked up from books or the internet. Because of this, some of the words or phrases I use might not be the correct terms used by "professionals".
The logs listed on this site are workouts I have put together for myself. They are not meant as examples to teach others, but only as a way for me to track my own progression.

Thanks for viewing.